Thursday, March 10, 2011

I can hear the bells

There is something so charming about small towns. Norman Oklahoma is a pretty small tow. Everything in Norman revolves around Oklahoma University (Boomer Sooner.) The thing that I love about Norman is the church bells. I can hear them from my bedroom window and it is quite lovely. They just chimed 10 pm.

Random Oklahoma Fact: Oklahoma is known as the "Sooner State" in fact during most football games you will see a "sooner schooner" driven across the field. The nickname comes from the land run of 1889. Settlers flocked to the state line of the then Oklahoma territory. At a certain date after midnight settlers could come across the territory line and claim up to 160 arches of land. So of course thousands of people lined up on the territory line to wait for the signal. But as my dad puts it
"well some people just came sooner so that's why it's called the sooner state."
So the state nickname came from a bunch of cheaters.
And that is all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment