Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Everytime I hear that Song I go back...

I have really started to love my drives to and from work. It is only about 20 minutes but it is the perfect amount of time to get lost in my thoughts.

Isn't it strange how you can hear a song and it will take you back a dozen years to a time and a place that you haven't thought about in forever. It was on one of my drives home from work the other night when the radio seemed to be playing the soundtrack of my life.

Whenever I hear the song "Brick" by Ben Folds, I think of being 16 and walking down the street with some of my best friends singing that song at the top my lungs and feeling so infinite. There are other songs too- Ones that make me think of a time not so long ago, when Audrey was still a little puppy and I was so in love with a boy who I thought I would marry. I had a job that I loved and a cute little apartment and I thought that I had it all.

Fast forward a year and a half later and I still had the dog but had moved, gotten a new job and was in engaged; but this time to the man that I did marry.

As I think back over the last five years or so, I can't help but be amazed at how much my life has changed. People that I loved have died, sweet babies have been born into my family, my hair has been about 5 different colors. I met a man and got married all with in a 13 month period. Then up rooted my whole life and moved 400 miles and started all over.

These are the things that I like to think about on my drives,the things that have changed,and the things that haven't. I love the moment when I remember how little control that I have over the whole mess beautiful thing that is my existence. Sometimes it is nice to have those moments when you realize just how small you are compared to the wide world around you. In that moment I can't help but smile and sing along and wonder what else the future has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment